What's Cooking in Your World began as a challenge from my son Tim to cook a meal from each of the world's 193(ish) countries one night a week.Twenty six months later, I've successfully cooked my way around each of those beautiful countries. I have learned more about geography, culture and the world through this project than anything I ever "learned" in school. I've also connected with a whole group of foodies, friends and awesome supporters from all over the world which is exactly what I hoped for when I posted my first Afghani meal in April, 2010. Global diversity is what makes this big, colorful planet sweet and spicy.
Professional Training: I have absolutely no professional training as a chef, but I've been passionate about good food and cooking since I was old enough to climb a stool to reach the kitchen counter. All the photographs you see in this blog I take while cooking. I like virtually everything (except Vegemite/Marmite) and will try anything at least once. I was mentored by my mother, the strongest, badass woman I know.
Who am I? If asked to describe myself, I'd say I am the fearless (to a big, big fault), impulsive and risk-taking personality type in most everything I do. I don't have any phobias or neuroses and nothing except losing my kids scares me. I love surprises and obstacles. And since this is starting to sound like a personals ad...
- I'm a Pisces
- My favorite color is orange
- I am happiest when I'm near the ocean
- I grew up in Cambridge, MA (a.k.a., The Peoples' Republic)
- My 2 teenage sons and husband are my in-house culinary guinea pigs and loves of my life <3
- My favorite music is: funk, soul, neo-soul, blues, garage rock, indie/alt rock and alt country (Jeff Tweedy -- call me, I'll seriously cook for you)
- My least favorite music is: Techno - hands down, h-a-t-e the stuff - followed by screamo and white supremacist thrasher metal
- My favorite books are John Irving's A Prayer of Owen Meany and Until I Find You as well as old school American detective novels (Chandler, Spillane and Hammett); plus too many to name
- I love to cook, eat, garden, read, write, photograph sexy food, horse back ride, swim, bike and run (actually really don't love running, but I make my thighs do it)
- I have a B.A. in English and an M.Ed. in Education and Counseling
- I love perfume, high heels, cowboy boots and all things girly
- I don't mind insects, reptiles or rodents and I love animals (especially my dog, Buddy Boy)
- I don't mind getting dirty, wet or smelly and I like working hard
- I could NEVER, repeat, NEVER work a 9-5 desk job because I can't sit still for more than 5 minutes
- I have no tolerance for ignorance or mean people
It's About Balance: Several years ago, I got into Sprint Triathlons via a friend who encouraged me to go for it. It turns out to be a great way to focus on a goal, and balance good physical and mental health with the copious quantities of food and accompanying libations I love to cook and consume.
**Photographs and Recipes: All photographs on What's Cooking in Your World were taken by me. If you'd like to use one of my photographs, please include a link back to the blog entry from which the photo was taken. If you'd like to use a recipe, the same is true.
|3 Things I Love|
(C) 2010-2011, What's Cooking in your World/Sarah Commerford/All Rights Reserved