Friday, April 23, 2010

The Wild Boar Has Arrived

The wild boar arrived today via FedEx - Even the delivery guy was psyched!  A big shout out to D'Artagnan, Inc. in Newark, NJ (http://www.dartagnan.com/ ) for getting this order to me so quickly and inexpensively, packed on ice in a reusable container! Now for the fun part. Because boar is considered a game animal, it's pretty tough, so the Andorran Wild Boar Stew recipe I'll be using calls for marinating the meet for 48 hours: check out the marinade ingredients:
  • salt, pepper
  • garlic
  • chopped onions
  • carrots
  • celery
  • bay leaves, cloves, oregano, thyme, nutmeg
  • cognac, as well as a splash of vinegar and a drop of oil
  • cover it all with red wine.
I will be serving on Sunday.

Lastly, my friend Mary gave me the idea to chart the countries I've covered on a map, so I dug this one out my closet from my teaching days. I've put star stickers on the 4 countries I've already cooked in: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria and Andorra...

Stay tuned~

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with the boar. What else goes in the pot? With a marinade like that, you can be sure it won't be a bore. Wild game word games...couldn't help myself.

Have you checked the relevancy of the map you're using? The world changes fast, though not always as we would wish. And your teaching days were, well, let's just say, a while ago.

sadie said...

I know - Hennessy and a Cabernet - it already smells unbelievable.

I'm going to have to scan the map carefully and may have to get a new one - or maybe I can draw the new countries on with a dry erase marker!

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome... can't wait to hear how it tastes. You are my cooking hero!

sadie said...

Thanks Renee! And you are my rock 'n roll goddess!