If you absolutely MUST have a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich, why not make it at home where you can control the quality and ingredients without compromising the cholesterol? This version is 1/8th the cost and takes 1/2 the time you'd spend standing or idling in line. And, fear not, it's loaded with 100% of the calories, but has probably 50% less sodium than you'd get at a fast food chain, so you can satisfy your bacon jones while not increasing your blood pressure. It's a win-win.
First off, the round egg trick. You too can reproduce the perfect fast food molded egg with ease. All you need is a small microwave safe dish, bowl or ramekin. Crack the egg into it and nuke it for about 45 seconds - less if you like your yolk runnier.
Next, the bacon. While you can use microwavable bacon if you're in a rush, in my humble opinion, microwave bacon is way too salty and lacks the mandatory crispiness good bacon should have - even when sandwiched between an egg and cheese. My favorite bacon is organic, uncured because it doesn't have all the nitrites, preservatives, additives, sodium and God only knows what else added. Just gimme the pork straight up, please. As for the cheese, I'm not a fan of American cheese - in fact, I'm not sure it's even cheese at all, so I use sharp cheddar - Boars Head makes a good variety you can get at most delis.
Finally the bread. I like to use an English muffin or a bagel - either one is fine. Butter it if you like, or to slightly reduce the fat, don't - which ever you choose, it should be toasted to golden perfection to avoid the soggy-breakfast-sandwich factor.
Bacon, Egg & Cheese McCommerford (Recipe can be adapted by omitting the meat altogether or using turkey "bacon")
- 1 egg
- 3-4 slices of bacon
- 1 slice good quality cheddar cheese
- 1 English muffin or bagel
- Canola oil cooking spray
- Fry bacon till crisp and drain on paper towels. If you're rushed, use microwaveable bacon and cook according to package instructions.
- Lightly spray the bowl or ramekin with cooking spray. Crack the egg into a microwave safe small bowl. Mircrowave on high for 45 seconds (reduce cooking time by 5 seconds if you like the yolk runny).
- Toast English muffin or bagel. Spread with butter - or not.
- Place cheese on warm bread and top with egg.